What You Need to Know to Create the Best RFID Label Solution
So, you need to integrate an RFID label solution into your operation. Well, you’ve come to the right place. We have helped many companies just like yours figure out exactly what they need (and don’t need) in order to make this as seamless as possible while saving time and money.
For some additional information on RFID solutions please check out:
What is RFID? Basic Terms and FAQ
RFID Inlay and Tags: Questions and Answers
The following is a list of things to consider and determine so that we can build the perfect RFID solution for you.
What size label do you need?
- Label width & length – What is the minimum & maximum size you need? What is the ideal size? We ask this because we may need to alter the size a bit depending on the inlay that best fits your application.
- Label carrier & repeat – with RFID, the label carrier & / or repeat may need to be adjusted due to inlay PET size & / or your printer requirements.
Have you already done any testing with inlays to verify which inlay will work best in your application?
YES – what inlay?
- What are the maximum and minimum dimensions of the tag?
- At what distances do you need to be able to read the tag?
- How many tags do you need to read at a time and how long do you have to read them?
- To what surface will you affix the tag? The tag needs to be tuned to the surface, be it glass, wood, plastic, corrugated, etc.
- Will the tag be flat or bent? Once attached, will the tag ever need to be removed?
Do you plan on encoding/imprinting the labels themselves, or would you like us to provide this service?
If you are doing the encoding, are you using a printer or handheld?
If we are doing the encoding, please provide both make and model. Certain printers require specific inlay placement and have minimum pitch requirements.
Do you need any static flexographic print on your label?
If you are able to provide the artwork upfront so that our art dept can review that would be helpful.
What type of label/tag do you need?
- Paper / Synthetic
- Adhesive or Tag with no Adhesive
- If we are making a pressure-sensitive label, what type of adhesive do you need?
- How long do you want your label to last?
- What type of surface will the tags be applied to?
- Any special temperature requirements?
If you have any finishing requirements, please let us know:
- Roll qty
- Core ID / OD
- Perf / No Perf
- The specific number of rolls per carton
Is there a security requirement? That is if the tag is removed, does it need to stop working?
How long is the life cycle of the tag? How long do you expect the tag to work? Do you need the tag to operate for only a year, 15 years, or some time in between? Remember, the wrong antenna materials can oxidize over time, leaving you with a dead tag.
The Wrap Up
We hope this helps prepare you for what you need to know to integrate RFID into your process. If this is your first RFID application it is best to bring in an experienced Systems Integrator, like PaladinID, to help lay out the framework for the project and offer guidelines on what type of solutions should be considered.
Call PaladinID today to find out exactly what you need to “Make Your Mark!”
Please give us a call at (888) 972 – 5234 or email us at [email protected]
MAKE YOUR MARK!
“Making companies more competitive by offering the correct label printing solution, on time, within budget, while creating unmatched value”.
About PaladinID, LLC
PaladinID develops and supports high-performance bar code labeling applications. We work with our clients to “Make Your Mark” by providing the expertise and tools necessary to create an entire product label printing solution. Located in central New Hampshire, PaladinID has been serving Massachusetts, Vermont, Maine, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New England, and beyond for over 30 years, and in 2017, became an RFID-certified company. We look forward to working with you.
Leave a Comment