Industry Insights: Pharmaceutical Labels
Do you need a better solution for your pharmaceutical labels?
There are so many product labels that are used in this industry. Vials, bottles, bags, charts, boxes, containers, and more. From really small labels to expanded labels and booklets, your company might need to produce several different types and sizes of labels.
A quick note about label content: The Pharmaceutical industry is constantly expanding and new regulations and requirements change frequently. Especially when it comes to the type of information that has to (by law) be included on pharmaceutical labels. We aren’t going to go into detail about the specific information that has to appear on your labels. That would take too long and frankly, we aren’t experts on that. You are! Rather, we are going to focus on best practices, problems, and solutions for the types of labels and printers that are available.
Let’s get started!
How to Find the Right Pharmaceutical Label
As mentioned earlier, you might need a comprehensive solution that can produce several types of labels for different uses. In order to make this as cost-effective and streamlined as possible, we will start by looking at the equipment you current have. You may be able to do a lot more than you realize with what you have. It might simply take some small additions or some partially pre-printed labels to enhance your labeling capabilities.
PaladinId has been in the labeling business a really long time. We’ve seen pretty much every label situation there is. Our top concern for our clients is to find the best solution that is cost effective and saves time. We aren’t going to try to sell you a whole new system if we can work with what you have.
Which is the best type of label for you?
There are several levels of durability and options for different environments and needs. We will discuss them in-depth with you and in a later article. However, there are 3 main types of labels to consider:
- Blank labels – If you plan on using your own printer (see below for more info) than blank labels are the way to go.
- Partially pre-printed labels – If you have standard info, such as a logo or graphics, that stays the same and a need for variable data, this is a great option. The supplier prints your design as a template and there are blank fields for you to either print or hand write the variable data onto your label.
- Fully pre-printed labels – This is exactly what it sounds like. Everything you need on you labels is printed by the supplier for you and ready to use. This solution is cost effective because you can get large runs of exactly the same information.It also ensures that you will never run out.
Which Printer is Best for You?
With the right type of printer, you can print labels in house, saving time and money. You can also customize your labels and print small batches on the spot. This provides the flexibility and timeliness you need to keep the your process running smoothly.
There are 3 main types of desktop printers that pharmaceutical companies typically use:
- Thermal Transfer
Thermal Transfer Printers for Pharmaceutical Companies
Thermal transfer printers provide the greatest label print durability. They are perfect for printing variable data, large quantities of labels, or even one at a time.
They come in both desktop, mobile versions and larger, more robust, industrial sizes. You also have the option of printing with either black or basic color thermal transfer ribbons.
There are many types of thermal transfer ribbons and we have extensive information on our website about them. You can always give us a call and we can walk you through your options.
(888) 972 – 5234
Laser Printers for Pharmaceutical Companies
Laser printers are popular because they are small and used for many different applications, and most companies already have them in place. If you use the proper label material you will be able to print durable labels that may be able to meet most (if not all) your needs.
Note: Laser printable durable materials are designed for black and color toner desktop printers.
Inkjet Printers for Pharmaceutical Companies
It is possible to print labels using an inkjet printer now that inkjet label printers have come a long way. If your application requires color or if you would like to incorporate color, this is the most cost effective way to go. The printers and options available today make label printing simple with the color quality that is second to none.
We are happy to provide samples of labels so you can see the durability. Just ask!
Additional Things to Consider for Pharmaceutical Labels
There are certain label properties that are very important to your highly regulated industry. We have many types of specialty labels and solutions to meet these needs. Some of these include:
- Cleanroom Product Labels. These labels keep the dust particles down in environments that require a high level of cleanliness.
- Wrap Around Expanded Content Labels. We print the static content on the underside of your labels (like directions or ingredients) and you print the variable data on the top side. Presto! More data!
- Generic Cryogenic Adhesives. Tests show these work very well below -80 degrees Celsius! The best news is that our generic option costs about 60% less than your standard cryogenic adhesive.
- Product Labels For Very Hot Applications. Do you need a label for hot products? Are you tired of waiting for your items to cool down before labeling? The wait is over! We have a label that works on very hot products, even glass.
- Labeling ampules and vials. We’ve been providing bar code labeling solutions for small objects, oddly shaped objects and soft objects for decades. We also have solutions that can automate the label application process–saving your staff valuable time.
We will look at these solution in-depth in future articles.
Contact Us Today!
Call or email PaladinID today and we can help you figure out the right Pharmaceutical label printing process that is right for you!
(888) 972 – 5234.
In future posts we will explore:
- Pharmaceutical Label Compliance: What you need to know
- Common Labeling Problems in the Pharmaceutical Industry
- Client Success Story: Pharmaceutical Industry
- The Right Printers, Labels and Ribbons for the Pharmaceutical Industry
- Best Practices in Labeling for the Pharmaceutical Industry
“Making companies more competitive by offering the correct label printing solution, on time, within budget, while creating unmatched value”.
Please give us a call at 888.972.5234 or send us an email, we are here to help.
About PaladinID LLC
PaladinID develops and supports high-performance bar code labeling applications. We work with our clients to “Make Your Mark” by providing the expertise and tools necessary to create an entire product label printing solution. Located in central New Hampshire, PaladinID has been serving Massachusetts, Vermont, Maine, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New England, and beyond for over 30 years, and in 2017, became an RFID-certified company.
Leave a Comment