Why Choose Eco-Friendly Labels?
What drives people to choose one label over another? Price is a big factor. Availability is crucial. In the last 18 months, we have seen an industry-wide shortage and delays in supplies. (See PaladinID’s commitment to our customers for fast and easy shipping.)
Surprisingly, or maybe not, is the shift in our clients’ request for sustainability in the product label and packaging industry. People are moving to more eco-friendly labels and products, and are willing to pay for them. The 2021 Buying Green Report states that 83% of consumers aged 44 and under are willing to pay extra for sustainable packaging. This has held true despite the Covid Pandemic. We are also seeing that the majority of millennials consumers are drawn to brands that are working on reducing their environmental footprint.
So, what are these environmentally conscious companies turning to for eco-friendly labels?
5 Types of Eco-Friendly Labels & Packaging Materials
It goes without saying that packing (and labeling) produces a lot of waste around the world. So, what can we do to reduce this?
Let’s start with labels. Labels are the first part of sustainable packaging design. If the package is recyclable but the label isn’t, it significantly reduces the number of recycling options for those products.
So, how do you create more eco-friendly labels without sacrificing performance?
Below are five main types of eco-friendly labels and packaging materials:
- Responsibly-Sourced: Responsibly sourced label materials are produced from verified renewable and often certified by an independent third party.
- Recyclable: If the label AND the package are recyclable, people are more likely to dispose of them properly. Examples of recyclable label materials include wash-off, removable and screenable adhesives.
- Compostable: Compostable packaging (popular in the food industry) is designed to biodegrade (breakdown) over time, typically in an industrial composting facility. This reduces landfill waste. An example is compostable adhesive label stocks.
- Lightweight or Thin Film: Lighter and comprised of significantly less material than conventional labels. These materials reduce the carbon footprint by conserving limited natural resources during shipping and product use. This includes lighter facestock and liner materials.
- Recycled Content: This type of product packaging is made from post-consumer waste (PCW) and manufactured with materials that are recycled rather than end up in a landfill. An example of recycled content is PCW facestocks and liner materials.
PaladinID Offers Eco-Friendly Labels
At PaladinID we offer a wide variety of sustainable label solutions that help our customers and their end-users reduce waste and increase recycling. To learn more about our range of eco-friendly label solutions for a sustainable packaging design, give us a call at 888.972.5234 or email and we will walk you through your options.
For more information on PaladinID
Make Your Mark
“Making companies more competitive by offering the correct label printing solution, on time, within budget, while creating unmatched value”.
About PaladinID, LLC
PaladinID develops and supports high-performance barcode labeling applications. We work with our clients to “Make Your Mark” by providing the expertise and tools necessary to create an entire product label printing solution. Located in central New Hampshire, PaladinID has been serving Massachusetts, Vermont, Maine, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New England, and beyond for over 30 years, and in 2017, became an RFID-certified company. We look forward to working with you.
You may be interested in our other services:
Labels for every type of application: Blank, Pre-printed, Variable data
We sell and support: Direct/thermal transfer, Inkjet, Laser
We sell ribbons for ALL barcode printers including: Zebra, Datamax, Sato, Intermec
We service all major brands of barcode label printers, Onsite, Depot service, Maintenance contracts, Printhead warranty
Software for all barcode printing and product labeling.
Wide selection of applicators: Desktop/Mobile, Applicator only, Print & apply
Leave a Comment