Industry Insights: Manufacturing Labels
Industrial and manufacturing labels need to be durable and often require extreme conditions.
You may have to deal with:
- extreme hot and cold temperatures
- fuels, oils, & grease
- severe weathering
- UV exposure
- cleaning agents
- strict quality standards
Manufacturing labels are made to survive the conditions listed above. They are printable using a standard laser or thermal transfer printer.
In order to create durable labels, a specific combination of adhesives, label materials and coatings are matched to exact specifications including:
- printing method
- regulatory compliance
- the labels end-use environment
How to Find the Right Manufacturing Label
There are many conditions to consider that are specific to your manufacturing business and needs. It can be frustrating to figure out which label products and printers are best for you.
PaladinID has over 30 years experience in the business and we have seen it all. There is no situation too tough for us to figure out in order to provide the right manufacturing label.
We will work with you to identify your business requirements and determine the best label solution for your needs. We always consider
your label, your budget, your existing printing equipment, and the level of printing flexibility you require.
Which is the best type of label for you?
There are several levels of durability and options for different environments and needs. We will discuss them in-depth with you and in a later article. However, there are 3 main types of labels to consider:
- Blank labels – If you plan on using your own printer (see below for more info) than blank labels are the way to go.
- Partially pre-printed labels – If you have standard info, such as a logo or graphics, that stays the same and a need for variable data, this is a great option. The manufacturer prints your design as a template and there are blank fields for you to either print or hand write the variable data onto your label.
- Fully pre-printed labels – This is exactly what it sounds like. Everything you need on you labels is printed by the manufacturer supplied to you and ready to use. Typical application would be a food manufacturer or retailer. High runs of exactly the same information.
Which Printer is Best for You?
With the right type of printer, you can print labels in house, saving time and money. You can also customize your labels and print small batches on the spot. This provides the flexibility and timeliness you need to keep the manufacturing process running smoothly in order to ship items out the door quickly.
There are 3 main types of desktop printers that manufacturing companies typically use:
- Thermal Transfer
Thermal Transfer Printers for Manufacturing
Thermal transfer printers provide the greatest label print durability. They are perfect for printing variable data, large quantities of labels, or even one at a time.
They come in both desktop, mobile versions and larger, more robust, industrial sizes. You also have the option of printing with either black or basic color thermal transfer ribbons.
There are many types of thermal transfer ribbons and we have extensive information on our website about them. You can always give us a call and we can walk you through your options.
(888) 972 – 5234
Laser Printers for Manufacturing
Laser printers are popular because they are small and used for many different applications, and every company already has them in place. If you use the proper label material you will be able to print pretty durable labels that may be able to meet most (if not all) your needs.
Note: Laser printable durable materials are designed for black and color toner desktop printers.
Inkjet Printers for Manufacturing
It is possible to print labels using an inkjet printer now that inkjet label printers have come a long way. If your application requires color or if you would like to incorporate color, this is the most cost effective way to go. The printers and options available today make label printing simple with the color quantity that is second to none.
We are happy to provide samples of labels so you can see the durability. Just ask!
Contact Us Today!
Call or email PaladinID today and we can help you figure out the right Manufacturing label printing process that is right for you! (888) 972 – 5234.
In future posts we will explore:
- Manufacturing Label Compliance: What you need to know
- Common Labeling Problems in the Manufacturing Industry
- Client Success Story: Manufacturing Industry (or name of Company)
- The Right Printers, Labels and Ribbons for the Manufacturing Industry
- Best Practices in Labeling for the Manufacturing Industry
“Making companies more competitive by offering the correct label printing solution, on time, within budget, while creating unmatched value”.
About PaladinID, LLC
PaladinID develops and supports high-performance bar code labeling applications. We work with our clients to “Make Your Mark” by providing the expertise and tools necessary to create an entire product label printing solution. Located in central New Hampshire, PaladinID has been serving Massachusetts, Vermont, Maine, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New England, and beyond for over 30 years, and in 2017, became an RFID-certified company. We look forward to working with you.
Leave a Comment